Departing from Firà, drive on the main road to Perissa. After 7 km at the junction with the road to Pyrgos turn left towards Pyrgos-Exo Gonià-Mesa Gonià.
Pyrgos: it's the town that more than all others still retain traces of the old medieval village (like Skaros, Emborio and Akrotiri)
Built on the hilltop, far from the sea, it was surrounded by walls, which rests are still visible today. After the Middle-Age, people began to build houses outside the walls and the village took the present look.
The peculiarity of the village is the high number of churches. The most ancient one, with its beautiful frescoes and old icons, is the church of "Theotokaki" (The Dormition of the Holy Virgin) dating back to the 10th Century. It is located in the castle of Pyrgos, which was built a bit later than the one in Episkopì Gonià.
Churches dating back to the period between the 1537 AD and the 1650 AD are: The Transfiguration of Christ (to Christulaki), St. John the Theologian, Saint Theodosia and St. Nicholas from Kisiras which is carved into the ground. Other churches built later are: St. Catherine, St. Demetrios, Archangel Michael ... and that's not all! Just think that on the island of Santorini there are 352 churches.